It is best to store your helmet in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight, heat, and chemicals. Avoid storing it in a damp or humid area, as this can cause the helmet to degrade, especially internally. A closet or a storage locker is a good option. Additionally, it is essential to ensure that your helmet is stored in a way that does not cause any damage to the structure of the helmet, so avoid stacking anything heavy on top of it.
Should I keep my helmet in a cloth bag or case?
Storing your helmet in a cloth bag or case can help protect it from scratches and dust, which can be especially useful if you store the helmet for a long time. It can also make it easier to transport.
It is vital to ensure that the cloth bag or case is clean and dry before storing the helmet and that the helmet is securely fastened inside the bag or case to prevent any damage.
Look for bags made from durable, water-resistant materials with reinforced padding and secure closure. Some popular options include the Ogio Helmet Duffel and the Fox Racing Helmet Transport Bag. Consider a bag with a shoulder strap or carrying handle for easy transport.
Are hard helmet cases better than cloth helmet bags?
A hard helmet case offers several advantages for storing and transporting a helmet:
- Protection: Hard cases provide superior protection for helmets, as they are durable, can withstand impacts, and better protect the helmet from scratches and other types of damage.
- Water resistance: Hard cases are often water resistant, protecting the helmet from moisture and humidity more effectively.
- Stackable: Hard cases can be stacked on top of each other, making them a good choice for transporting multiple helmets.
- Locks and Latches: Many hard cases come with locks and latches that can be used to secure the helmet and provide added security when traveling.
Several popular brands make high-quality hard helmet cases for storing and transporting. Here are two great options:
- SKB: SKB cases are made from high-quality materials and feature a water-resistant design, making them an excellent option for protecting helmets from the elements.
- Nanuk: Nanuk cases are made from a tough and durable material and feature a water-resistant design and various locking mechanisms.
Helmet storage ideas
Here are a few ideas for storing your helmet:
- Closet: A closet is a great place to store your helmet when it’s not in use. Make sure to find a cool, dry spot, and away from direct sunlight.
- Helmet Stand: A helmet stand can be a valuable tool for storing your helmet when you are not using it. It can help to keep your helmet off the ground, which can help to prevent scratches and other types of damage.
- Storage Locker: A dedicated storage locker is one of the safest options if you have space in a garage.
- Wall Hooks: You can use wall hooks to hang your helmet on the wall. This is a great way to save space and keep your helmet out of the way. Halley Accessories have some great options.